MEDFORD, Ore. — After some anticipation that he might be leaving Southern Oregon for another opportunity, the Troup County School System (TCSS) in Georgia announced that current superintendent of Medford Schools Dr. Brian Shumate has been unanimously chosen to lead its schools.
TCSS said that Dr. Shumate would take over the position effective July 1 of this year.
“This search process was intensely focused on leadership characteristics the board and community wanted our next superintendent to exhibit. From this process rose three strong candidates," said Kirk Hancock, Chairman for the TCSS Board of Education. "During our deliberation as a Board, we took the community stakeholder feedback seriously. Everyone has a desire for our district to be successful and we feel Dr. Shumate can help us achieve success.”
Dr. Shumate became superintendent of the Medford School District (MSD) in 2014. He hails from Louisville, Kentucky originally. Moving to LaGrange, Georgia, the seat of Troup County, would put him closer to friends and family.
“We’ve had a great experience here,” Shumate told the LaGrange Daily News while still one of three finalists for the position. “We have been out on the west coast and people here have been very gracious and good, and we’ve made progress as a district and we’re really proud. I’m just at that point in my life where I need to get back closer to that part of the world.”
In a statement from MSD delivered when Shumate was selected as a finalist, Shumate described in greater detail why he was considering relocation:
“We’ve been fortunate to be in Medford and I’ve been fortunate to be the Superintendent,” Dr. Brian Shumate said. “In the last several years, our family has experienced deaths, serious illness and the birth of a grandchild. Because of these family considerations I’ve found it necessary to be closer to my hometown and closer to family.”
This is a developing story, and NewsWatch 12 will post more information as it emerges. The Medford School District said that it will be making an announcement on Thursday at 4:30 p.m. with Dr. Shumate.
- Dr. Shumate, Medford Superintendent, Chosen to Lead Georgia School District
- Medford School District selects new superintendent
- Being Close To Family is the Main Reason Dr. Shumate is Relocating
- Medford School District Tackles Child Obesity
- Medford School District Pilots 'Sixth Grade Academy'
- Klamath County School District Closer To Hiring New Superintendent
- Medford School District Approves Fifth School Resource Officer
- Medford School District Installs New Doorbell Security Systems
- The Medford School District Holds First Listening Session