Mt. Shasta, Calif. — Deputies arrested a Mount Shasta man on Wednesday morning after he shot at a woman as she tried to drive away from him, according to the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office (SCSO).
The incident began when deputies received a call about a "domestic disturbance and a possible suicidal man" at a house in the 800-block of Michelle Drive in an area outside the City of Mount Shasta.
The man involved would later be identified as 79-year-old Donald Hannan.
"At some point the verbal confrontation between the couple residing at the residence escalated and a female adult attempted to leave the home and drive away from the scene in her motor vehicle," SCSO said in a statement.
When the woman tried to leave the house in her car, Hannan allegedly grabbed a handgun and shot at her as she drove away. The victim drove herself to the Mt. Shasta Police Department and officers later brought her to the hospital.
Deputies arrived at the scene of the shooting and found themselves in a stand-off with Hannan, according to SCSO. Even as more police officers and state troopers arrived on the scene, an SCSO sergeant reportedly negotiated with the suspect — leading him to eventually surrender.
“We are very pleased the actions of the responding SCSO sergeant, deputy, and allied-agency officers resulted in the peaceful resolution of this incident," said Sheriff Jon Lopey. "Preliminary reports indicate the victim was not injured as a result of the assault."
Hannan is charged with Attempted Murder and Discharging a Firearm at an Occupied Vehicle. SCSO detectives with their Major Crimes Unit are assisting with the investigation and follow-up.
- Sheriff: Domestic Disturbance Leads to Shooting, Arrest
- Sheriff: Domestic Violence Suspect Arrested After 3-Hour Standoff
- Oregon Police Fatally Shoot Man During Disturbance Call
- Michael Avenatti Arrested in LA on Domestic Violence Charge
- Police: Domestic Violence Suspect Tried to Hide, Resist Arrest
- Sheriff: Traffic stop, K9 search leads to multiple arrests for meth, heroin
- RADE Team Investigation Leads To 4 Arrests
- Sheriff: Sexual assault investigation leads to HazMat response
- Sheriff: Two Arrested for Josephine County Burglary
- FBI is investigating 850 domestic terrorism cases