MEDFORD, Ore. --
UPDATE: Investigators have determined the cause of a death for an inmate who was discovered unresponsive in his cell at the Jackson County Jail on Monday night.
An autopsy confirmed that 28-year-old Scott Ashbaugh died "as the result of suicide by ligature asphyxiation," the Jackson County Sheriff's Office said — indicating that he hanged or otherwise strangled himself.
JCSO said that any final information on the case will come from the District Attorney's office at the conclusion of the investigation.
(Updated 11/6/19 at 12:10 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: Detectives are investigating the death of an inmate at the Jackson County jail late Monday night.
A Jackson County Sheriff's Deputy found Scott Ashbaugh, 28, unresponsive during a cell check. Police say the deputy starting doing CPR as paramedics were called in.
Ashbaugh was pronounced dead at the jail.
The Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit was called into investigate. This is a stand procedure with all in-custody deaths in Jackson County. A detective with Medford Police Department is leading the investigation.
Police say the preliminary investigation indicates that Ashbaugh died of suicide. An autopsy is schedule for Wednesday.
Ashbaugh was arrested by Medford Police on October 19. Police say his was violating probation for failing to report as a sex offender and he resisted arrest.
He was serving a sanction for the probation violation. Ashbaugh was set to be released from jail Thursday.
Jail officials say Ashbaugh was housed in a cell with no other inmates at the time of his death.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office says mental health services are available to inmates at the jail.
There are also local resources for anyone struggling with mental health issues. The Jackson County Mental Health 24-hour crisis hotline number is (541) 774-8201. Walk-in mental health services are also available at 140 S. Holly Street, Medford. The number for the National Suicide Prevention Helpline is 1(800)273-TALK.
- Detectives investigating inmate death at Jackson County Jail
- Jackson County Jail inmate dies in custody
- Jackson County's Jail Problem
- Lane County Authorities Investigating Inmate's Death
- Death Row Inmate Convicted of Jackson County Murders Found Dead
- BREAKING NEWS: OSP Is Investigating Death of Curry County Jail Inmate
- Jackson County Sheriff's Detectives Are Searching for a Runaway
- Jackson County Detective to Take Aim at High Tech Crimes
- Sheriff: Jackson County Jail is Overcrowded
- Detectives investigating the death of toddler in Eagle Point