CENTRAL POINT, Ore. — Detectives are investigating the apparent murder-suicide of a man and his mother at their home in the Central Point area after a neighbor reported an "odor" coming from the home on Monday.
Just after noon on Monday, a man called dispatch and requested a welfare check at his neighbor's home in the 3200-block of New Ray Road.
"The man reported he had not seen the occupants for some time and he could smell an odor coming from the home," the Jackson County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.
Deputies responded to the home and found the bodies of two people inside. Both appeared to have died from gunshot wounds. The deputies also found a pet rabbit and a cat dead in the same manner.
The Jackson County Medical Examiner's office identified the two people as 44-year-old Shayne Justin Cleaveland and his 68-year-old mother, Robin Meinhart.
"The pair had reportedly not been seen for at least a week before deputies were called for the welfare check," JCSO said.
Investigators believe that Cleaveland shot his mother and the pets before taking his own life. They discovered a note apparently left at the scene by Cleaveland, as well as the guns used.
JCSO said that Cleaveland and Meinhart's next-of-kin had been notified of their deaths.
"In the wake of this incident, JCSO officials want to remind everyone that services are available locally for people experiencing a mental health crisis," the agency said. Walk-in mental health services are available at 140 S. Holly Street, Medford (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5 pm).
Information about additional resources and suicide prevention can be found at the Jackson County Health & Human Services website. A resource guide for media best practices regarding reporting on suicide can be found at reportingonsuicide.org.
- Detectives investigate apparent murder-suicide in Central Point
- Apparent Murder-Suicide Investigated at Medford Home
- UPDATE: Victim, Suspect Identified from Apparent Murder-Suicide Near Merlin
- Sheriff: 86-Year-Old Man, Caregiver Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide
- Investigators arrest murder suspect in Central Point shooting
- Detectives investigating the death of toddler in Eagle Point
- Barn Fire in Central Point Under Investigation
- Father of Sandy Hook shooting victim dead of apparent suicide
- Costco Relocates to Central Point
- Central Point summer meal program