BROOKINGS, Ore. — Deputies arrested a wanted fugitive after a witness saw him breaking into boats at the Port of Brookings Harbor, according to the Curry County Sheriff's Office (CCSO).
The Brookings Police Department transferred a 911 call to CCSO on Wednesday just after 9 a.m. The caller reported seeing a white man in his 40s aboard a boat called the Windchime in the Port of Brookings Harbor near the Coast Guard Station. According to the caller, no one should have been on the boat at the time. The caller also believed that the same man had broken into another boat and stolen "numerous items."
When Deputy Jordan White arrived on the scene, he found that the suspect had been "confronted by a few locals and had jumped in the water." CCSO says that the deputy was able to get the man out of the water and detained him.
At first, the suspect gave Deputy White a fake name, according to CCSO. Investigators later identified him as Kevin Wayne King, a fugitive from the Coffee Creek Correctional Facility in Wilsonville, wanted for Forgery charges. Further investigation found that King had broken into two boats in the harbor, CCSO said.
King was lodged in the Curry County Jail on two counts of Burglary II and Providing False Information to a Police Officer.
Deputy White also recalled that he had seen King the day before, parked overlooking the ocean in a white convertible near the Beach Front RV area. The convertible reportedly had a surf board in the passenger seat.
The deputy later returned to that area and found the same car parked there. Investigators performed a records check and determined that the car had been stolen a few days earlier from the Fort Bragg area in California. Deputy White also connected King to a series of crimes in Del Norte County, including a break-in at a motel and several thefts.
CCSO says that all of that information has been referred to the Curry County District Attorney, and could constitute additional charges against King.
- Sheriff: Wanted Fugitive Confronted During Boat Burglaries, Jumps into Water
- Sheriff, Marshals Seeking Armed Fugitive in Josephine County
- Fugitive arrested in Jackson County
- Sheriff: Two Arrested for Josephine County Burglary
- Authorities Search for Fugitive Rape Suspect
- FBI Requests Help in Finding Fugitive
- Hit-and-run, K-9 lead police to arrest wanted California fugitive
- Sheriff: Investigation of Christmas Burglary Ends in Arrest
- Sheriff: Man Hospitalized after He 'Jumped' in Front of Moving Truck
- Bottled Water