PROSPECT, Ore. — Deputies assigned to a "rural problem-solving team" arrested three people with outstanding warrants last Thursday during a sweep through transient camps near Prospect, according to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) — part of an effort to stop wildfires that begin in such camps.
"Citizens had reported problems with camps, excess trash, and illegal campfires in the wooded area near Pearsony Falls," the agency said. "Deputies responded to the location on the morning of August 8, 2019, and located two camps."
In the first camp, deputies found and arrested 58-year-old Lawrence Carl Hunsley on a warrant for probation violation stemming from a coercion charge. JCSO said he was arrested and lodged in jail without incident.
Two more arrests were made at a second camp. 26-year-old Erin Robin Abbey had a felony warrant for probation violation from a weapons offense, and was arrested without incident. 18-year-old Brycen Dennis Scofield had misdemeanor warrants for probation violation — but JCSO said that he resisted arrest, prompting deputies to use a Taser in order to take him into custody.
"Both Scofield and Abbey were lodged in jail," the agency said. "Scofield received an added charge of interfering with a peace officer stemming from an incident that occurred earlier in the week."
Both camps were found on private timber land, according to JCSO, and all three people were issued trespass notices and ordered not to return.
JCSO said that the problem-solving team regularly meets with people living in Jackson County's rural communities to identify issues and work toward solutions. Two deputy positions are funded through "Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) program grants."
"Anyone with a concern about problems in rural areas of Jackson County can call dispatch at (541) 776-7206 to speak to a JCSO deputy," the agency said. "Information will be passed along to the problem solving team to address."
- Deputies arrest three with warrants during transient camp sweep near Prospect
- Deputies Seek Suspected Prospect Flasher
- Deputies Track Down Suspect in Prospect Indecent Exposure Case
- Update: Bear Creek Greenway Fire Started At Transient Camp
- Prospect 'Search Angel' Finds Missing People After Camp Fire
- Police: Juveniles Arrested for Assault on Grants Pass Transient
- Transient Accused of Child Sex Abuse
- Thick Smoke Affects Local Business in Prospect
- Deputies Prepare for Country Crossings with Greenway Sweep
- Police arrest transient man suspected of Klamath Falls home invasion, attempted murder