Ashland, OR. -- Medical marijuana growers in Oregon must register their grow site by December first. Growers have the option of remaining with the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program, registering as a recreational grow site with Oregon Liquor Control Commission, or registering as a patient growing for themselves.
If a medical marijuana grower remains registered with OMMP, they will use the Cannabis Tracking System and pay an additional fee of $480. They can also sell up to 20 pounds of medicinal marijuana to a recreational dispensary.
CEO of the Oregon Marijuana Business Conference says this amount is something he would like to change in the future, "That's not a whole lot right now, but it's a fissure that we've at least opened them up to consider."
Rogers says many medicinal growers are not happy with the registration because they think the recreational industry is trying to push them out.
"It's basically forcing these medical growers into the recreational market and some don't want to go there," says Rogers.
Medicinal marijuana growers have smaller batches, and what they do have left over they can only sell if they are registered. Recreational growers have a bigger supply and can sell their product for much less.
Manager of House of Leaves, Ricky Lave, compares it to a niche company trying to compete with a big box brand, "If I can buy my product at a lower price it is probably going to behoove me to do that to make money."
Rogers says many Southern Oregonians like the smaller medical grows, and patients rely on them. He says he hopes the next legislative session will allow medicinal marijuana growers to sell an unlimited amount to recreational dispensaries.
- Deadline Looming for Medical Marijuana Growers
- Marijuana Growers Prevail Over Josephine County Appeal
- IRS deadline for filing taxes looms
- Marijuana Growers Turning to Hemp as CBD Extract Explodes
- Authorities Link Oregon Marijuana Grower To Butane Honey Oil Explosion
- Deadline looms for Smollett to pay city investigative costs
- Continued Protection Sought For Medical-Marijuana States
- Hawaii Opens Medical Marijuana Registration to Visitors
- Oregon Pot Growers Now Must Notify Officials About Harvests
- Study: Opioid Use Lower In States With Medical Marijuana