MEDFORD, Ore. -- For dad Justin Hon, making his teenage boys pick up trash around the Medford Toys R Us parking lot is a lenient punishment compared to what could have happened under the law.
Instead of a family trip into the toy store to pick out a new toy, Justin hon had his teenage boys, Nicholas and Noah, picking up trash in the parking lot. He said sometime around Christmas, he caught his sons stealing from Toys R Us.
“Their excuse was that they were stealing for their baby brother which I don't care what their reason was behind it. Their actions deserve consequences and they just need to be accountable for what they did," said Justin Hon.
Hon made the boys return what they stole.
"The lady here at Toys R Us was really sweet. She just talked to them. She was really nice about it. She could have called the cops on them.” Hon added.
He said their actions warranted a punishment greater than just getting grounded.
"I felt that this could have turned into something bigger if I didn't nip it in the bud really quick. I know as a kid I stole things and I got in trouble by the law. I had to do community service and all that stuff. I guess this is what it's about. Learning a hard life lesson without the judicial system," Hon added.
He made his sons, 16 year old Nicholas and 15 year old Noah, buy their own high visibility vests and trash bags with their Christmas money to learn from their mistakes.
"I told my kids I'm not mad at them. I was disappointed but I wasn't mad at them. I made the same mistakes. It’s learning from those mistakes and taking responsibility for your part," Hon said.
Hon hopes this lesson sticks with his children and they never have sticky fingers again.
- Dad Makes Sons Caught Shoplifting Clean Store's Parking Lot
- Cleaning Up Medford's Parks
- Van Catches Fire In Medford Parking Lot
- Shooter Charged in Florida Parking Lot 'Stand Your Ground' Slaying
- Storing Bulbs
- Timmothy Pitzen's dad hopes news about his missing son creates new leads in the case
- New Storefronts Could Go Up in Old Costco Building Parking Lot
- Medford City Council Allows Over Night Sleeping in Church Parking Lots
- Bike Thieves Caught on Camera
- 'New mothers' sign for new dads too?