CENTRAL POINT, Ore. —
UPDATE: The Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) has released the identity of a man killed during an altercation in Central Point on Thursday.
47-year-old Robert Leroy Mitchell was living at the property when the fight occurred, JCSO said. He died from a single gunshot wound to the chest, an autopsy confirmed today.
According to the agency, a 33-year-old woman has been identified as being the other party in the fight, but she "has not been arrested and is cooperating with investigators."
"Detectives say there remains no threat to the public," JCSO said.
The investigation remains ongoing, with JCSO assisted by the Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit (MADIU), a task force made up of detectives from local law enforcement agencies.
(Updated 6/7/19 at 1:50 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: The Jackson County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of person found in rural Central Point, according to a statement released this morning.
Deputies responded to a report of a fight between two people on Hanley Road near Quail Ct. on Thursday morning around 5:50 a.m.
When officers got there, they found one person dead.
Police are not yet releasing the name of the person or how the person died, but an investigator from the Medical Examiner's Office did respond to the scene.
Detectives say there is no danger to the public.
This is a developing story. Stay with Newswatch 12 for updates.
- Authorities identify man shot, killed in fight on Central Point property
- DA: Woman who shot and killed man on Central Point property acted in self-defense
- UPDATE: Deputies Identify Central Point Man Killed in Rollover Crash
- Suspects Identified in Central Point Armed Robbery
- Police: Dog Shot, Killed After Attacking Woman in Central Point
- UPDATE: Authorities Identify Man Killed in Eagle Point Officer-Involved Shooting
- Sheriff's Office identifies man killed in Central Point officer-involved shooting
- Sheriff's Office identifies man killed in Central Point shooting on Thursday
- Loved Ones Remember Man Killed Crossing I-5 in Central Point
- UPDATE: Man Killed During Penninger Fire Identified by Authorities