CRATER LAKE, Ore. — Entrance fees are going to increase at Crater Lake National Park, the National Park Service (NPS) announced on Thursday. The higher fees are intended to provide additional funding for park infrastructure and maintenance to improve the visitor experience.
The proposal to increase rates was first announced in February of this year.
“We want to provide visitors with the best possible experience when they come to the park,” said Crater Lake National Park Superintendent, Craig Ackerman. “The money from entrance fees is used to support deferred maintenance and a variety of projects that directly benefit park visitors such as improving park trails and expanding parking at the popular Cleetwood Trailhead.”
The new fees will come in staggered increments over the next two years. Here's a breakdown of the new fees and when they will go into effect:
Starting May 13, 2018
$25 per vehicle
$20 per motorcycle
$50 for an annual park pass
Starting January 1, 2020
$30 per vehicle
$25 per motorcycle
$55 for an annual park pass
NPS is assuring the public that all money received from entrance fees remains within the Park Service, helping to ensure a 'quality experience for all who visit.' About 80 percent of fees collected at Crater Lake are invested into the park, with 20 percent going to other parks.
After a period of public comment that began in October of 2017, NPS opted to increase entrance fees at all fee-charging parks, rather than dramatically increasing peak-season fees at 17 highly-visited national parks.
Currently, entrance fee rates at Crater Lake are $15 per vehicle, $10 per motorcycle, and $40 for an annual pass. NPS estimates that entrance fee collections in 2016 amounted to $199.9 million in revenue—they hope to increase that amount by $60 million over the coming years.
- Crater Lake National Park Raises Entrance Fees
- Crater Lake National Park Proposes Rate Increase
- One Person Dead After Crash Near Crater Lake National Park
- Crater Lake National Park Offers Ranger-Guided Snowshoe Walks
- Drive the rim at Crater Lake National Park
- Crater Lake National Park Reopens After Government Shutdown Ends
- Accident Slows Traffic on Crater Lake Ave
- Utility Company Raises Fees For Cryptocurrency Miners
- Crater Rock Museum
- Bank Robbery and Stabbing on Crater Lake Avenue In Medford