ROSEBURG, Ore. -- At least one person is dead after an officer-involved shooting in the Green district of Roseburg Saturday night.
The intense and prolonged exchange of gunfire was captured on cellphone video Saturday afternoon.
KEZI in Eugene spoke to the couple who captured the video. Julie and Travis Mccartt said they began to take video on their phone when the car started driving into the field.
The driver of the vehicle allegedly opened fire on authorities, police said, and "multiple" officers returned fire.
Police said that during the exchange of gunfire the stolen vehicle began to smoke and became engulfed in flames.
Later, police said, they found a body inside the car.
"Total shock," Julie Mccart said. "I mean with the adrenaline, I wasn't as worried until afterwards when the cops had contacted me and I thought oh geeze, this is really bad."
The Mccartts said this incident is unusual for Roseburg.
"For this area, it's just not something we expect," Julie said.
"It's been kind of crazy the last couple of weeks with the other high speed pursuit at Red Robin," Travis said. "I can't explain it. It's just not normal."
No law enforcement personnel were injured during this incident. The involved officers were placed on administrative leave pursuant to their respective agency’s officer involved shooting protocols, officials said.
The Douglas County Major Crimes Team is investigating the incident, with the Roseburg Police Department being the lead investigating agency.
- Couple speaks out after capturing video of deadly Green shootout
- Man Captures Sneaker Wave on Video
- DA: Deadly shootout near Cave Junction stemmed from dispute over motorcycle
- UPDATE: Suspect Found Dead After Florida Shootout
- Officials: Strasbourg Market Shooter Killed in Shootout
- Escaped Inmate Captured
- RAW VIDEO: Security Cameras Capture Vandalism at Medford Schools
- Think "Green" this Christmas
- Shootout South of Cave Junction Leaves One Man Dead
- How a Ring surveillance system and an alert couple helped lead to the capture of an escaped inmate in Tennessee