ASHLAND, Ore. -- The gym at Ashland High School is usually reserved for games but on Saturday, it served a different purpose. It was packed with people not mourning but celebrating the life of Ashland Police Department's Officer Malcus Williams.
"If we use Malcus as a model, we must remember these three things: have a positive attitude, respect diversity and be kind. Those are just three ways we can all protect and serve our community," said his friend and Southern Oregon University Football Coach Charlie Hall.
On Friday, March 2nd, Officer Williams suffered a major medical emergency while on a call. He died later that night in the hospital.
"I cannot wait for the day when I am reunited with my friend Malcus Williams," said his friend Joe Pedrojetti.
His memorial celebrated his life and 21 year career as an Ashland Police officer. His daughters spoke and sang in memory of their father.
"I've known many good men in my life but few rose to that level of great. Malcus rose to that level in my life," said friend and colleague Sgt. Bob Smith.
His family, friends and colleagues said he was an amazing human being. He gave 100 percent to his family, 100 percent to his job and 100 percent to anything he was a part of.
"I would challenge anybody in this room to go find somebody to say something negative about Malcus because I don't think you can,” said Ashland Police Chief Tighe O’Meara.
Now they must all say goodbye or see you later to a life gone too soon.
In honor of his life, Governor Kate Brown ordered all flags at Oregon public institutions to be lowered to half-staff Saturday
- Community Remembers Fallen Ashland Police Officer
- Ashland Police Asks Community To Support Oregon Fallen Badge Foundation
- Ceremony for Fallen Ashland Police Officer Will Proceed on Saturday
- Lawmakers pass resolution honoring fallen Ashland Police Officer Malcus Williams
- Ashland Police Department honors fallen Ashland Police Officer in Washington, DC
- Ashland Community Center closed
- Ashland Officer Malcus Williams Approved for Fallen Law Enforcement Memorial
- Fallen Ashland officer's name joins those honored at state memorial
- Ashland honors fallen officer Malcus Williams with highway dedication
- UPDATE: Medal of Ultimate Sacrifice Approved for Fallen Ashland Police Officer