GRANTS PASS, Ore. — When Portland Meadows closed earlier this year, TMB Racing, led by Grants Pass native and Dutch Bros. Coffee CEO Travis Boersma, jumped at the opportunity to bring commercial racing to Grants Pass Downs.
Sunday will mark the inaugural season of commercial horse racing in Southern Oregon when the first race posts at 1 pm on September 22nd.
TMB Racing brought on the legendary Michael Wrona to be the track announcer for all 14 race days.
There were also a few improvements to the track. A new, "state-of-the-art safety rail" was added along with "800 tons of sand" to the track as safety measures, according to a Grants Pass Downs press release. Along with the safety measures, a digital video board was installed to enhance the racegoers' experience.
Lights have been installed, but power has not yet been connected to the lights. TMB Racing hopes that they will be able to have power to the lights this season to host evening races at Grants Pass Downs.
Races are scheduled for every Sunday and Monday at 1 pm from September 22 to November 4 at Grants Pass Downs.
- Commercial racing makes its debut Sunday at Grants Pass Downs
- Grants Pass Downs Eyes Commercial Horse Racing
- Grants Pass Downs hosts first commercial race on Sunday
- Ashland Teacher Makes Jeopardy Debut
- Two Injured, Suspect Arrested in Grants Pass Street Racing Incident
- Caveman Repairs in Grants Pass
- Grants Pass Family Welcomes Triplets
- Grants Pass Brewfest happening now
- Grants Pass Firefighters Knock Down Out-of-Hand Cookfire
- Student Arrested at Grants Pass High After Making Gun Threat