MEDFORD, Ore.-- An annual event that provides shoes and free foot examinations for those in need is back to Medford tomorrow.
NewsWatch 12's Eliana Sheriff tells us how doctors, nurses, and volunteers are collaborating to get the less fortunate back on their feet.
According to recent studies, about two-thirds of homeless people suffer from foot problems at any given time.
On Wednesday at the Medford Gospel Mission doctors will be teaming up to help people get back on their feet again at no cost.
Six years ago, the Rogue Valley became one of the dozens of places across the country to offer the “Our Hearts to Your Soles” event.
Dr. Richard Owens with Southern Oregon Orthopedics is heading the effort.
He brought the idea here to Medford six years ago.
Medford Gospel Mission Director Will Holmbeck says, "Most of the folks that we serve, life has kicked them in the teeth, something has happened, and they've lost, they may have lost their house, or their car, so their pedaling on bikes, or walking, and if you don't have good shoes its very painful. It's just been an incredible thing to grow year after year."
Edward Randall says, "I don't even think you can measure it, it's so nice. I have neuropathy in my feet, I'm diabetic, but a good pair of shoes from these guys will help out a lot."
The clinic runs from 10 am to 2 pm Wednesday at the Medford Gospel Mission.
- Clinic Offering Free Foot Exams, New Shoes For Homeless Population
- Annual Point-In-Time Survey Counts Homeless Population
- California Keeps Tough Attorney Licensing Exams
- Providence Offers Free Hospice Volunteer Training
- Klamath County Libraries Offer Free Tax Help
- Jackson Elementary Students Receive New Shoes
- Living Well Community Health Fair Offers Free Wellness Screenings
- Great Clips Offers Free Haircuts To Cancer Survivors
- Oregon Offers Free School Lunches Through the Summer Months
- Oregon's population keeps rising, now at 4.1 million