The Rural Metro Fire Departments put a post on Facebook Saturday morning with a few reminders for people before setting up and buying your Christmas Tree.
"1) Consider a "live tree" instead of a cut tree. It's easier to keep green and you can plant it later!
2) If you buy a lot tree, make sure it's fresh and hasn't been cut a week prior!
3) Keep tree in a sturdy stand to prevent tip-over by kids or pets!
4) Keep your tree watered DAILY!
5) Keep tree away from wood stoves, portable heaters and candles!
6) Do not leave tree lights on when asleep or not at home!
7) ALWAYS have a working smoke and carbon monoxide alarm installed and working!"
The Facebook post also has a video showing how quickly a tree can catch on fire. If you have any questions about Christmas Trees and fire safety call the Rural Metro Fire Prevention Division at 541-474-1218