CENTRAL POINT, Ore. -- All eight schools in the Central Point School District will be getting some upgrades thanks to a new bond. Voters passed the $82 million bond in the Special Election Tuesday.
Crater High School is nearly 70 years old. Paving the student parking lot is at the top of the fix it list.
"That's something that will be very exciting,” said Central Point School District 6 Superintendent Samantha Steele. “It turns out that Crater High School was not named after the student parking lot and we'll be able to demonstrate that once we complete this project"
In all seriousness, the district said the bond will go toward:
- Increasing security
- Renovating and repairing the older schools
- Reducing overcrowding
- Improving air quality by putting HVAC systems in all of the schools.
Many of the schools still use boilers for heating.
"You cannot turn the heat, or the parts of the school that has air conditioning, you can't turn any of those sections on and off on a daily basis or per room. They have to be on for months at a time," added Crater’s School of Business, Innovation and Science principal Tiffany Slaughter.
The boiler room at Crater is so old, Steele said parts can only be found on EBay.
"Parts are not available for our maintenance department to repair or update. Having that replaced with a modern H-VAC system, one that's designed to last 30 years is going to make a huge difference for the health and safety of our students there," Steele added.
Steele said the bond goes into effect immediately but you are not going to see the parking lot paved immediately. It may be awhile until the community actually begins to see any changes and upgrades.
- Crater High's student parking lot to be paved
- Crater Lake National Park Proposes Rate Increase
- Crater Lake National Park Raises Entrance Fees
- Crater Rock Museum
- One Person Dead After Crash Near Crater Lake National Park
- Crater Lake National Park Offers Ranger-Guided Snowshoe Walks
- Crater Lake National Park Reopens After Government Shutdown Ends
- Van Catches Fire In Medford Parking Lot
- Crater Moved, Other Local High School Football Games in Jeopardy
- Mt. Shasta and Crater Lake Volcanoes Ranked 'Very High Threat'