CENTRAL POINT, Ore.--Central Point Police are investigating an armed robbery of a taxi cab driver early Thursday morning.
NewsWatch 12 learns the suspects could be facing major charges for a very small pay off.
A taxi driver with 5 Star Taxi got a call from a fare who needed to be picked up at the Human Bean on Rossanley in Medford.
The fare was dropped off in Central Point, at the skateboard park around 2:30am.
Instead of paying for the 12 dollar ride, police say the passenger threatened the driver.
CPPD Detective Josh Abbott says, "When he dropped the passenger off, he got out with three other friends who were waiting at the skate park. and one of them presented a firearm and told the cab driver to get out of here. The driver told them I am not leaving, and they ran off in an unknown direction and then he called us, we got there fairly quickly."
Detective Abbott says they are reviewing video surveillance from different locations around the park.
He says they have some people of interest but they're still working to catch the suspects.
The crime is a potential measure 11 offense.
Josh Abbott says, "It's a theft of services, that turns into a robbery because of the firearm presented, so something that usually wouldn't be a huge crime has turned into a much bigger crime."
If anyone has video or has a tip, they're encouraged to call the Central Point Police.
- Central Point Police Investigate Armed Robbery of Taxi Cab Driver
- Police Arrest Suspect in Medford Taxi Cab 'Armed' Robbery
- Suspects Identified in Central Point Armed Robbery
- Suspect in Central Point Armed Robbery Arrested in Texas, Extradited
- Valley Cab Carrying Naloxone
- Three Arrested after Armed Robbery of a Vehicle in Central Point
- Barn Fire in Central Point Under Investigation
- A Busy Night for Bartenders and Cab Drivers
- UPDATE: Police Search For Armed Robbery Suspect
- Police Search for Suspect in Armed Robbery