GRANTS PASS, Ore. — Several elementary school students from Cave Junction were taken to the hospital for assessment after a driver crashed into their school bus, according to the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS).
The agency said that police and firefighters responded to Highway 199 at Allen Creek Road following reports of the crash around 9 a.m. on Thursday. They arrived to find a silver 2007 Hyundai Sonata blocking the northbound lane of the highway.
The school bus was carrying about 35 elementary school students from Cave Junction on a field trip. GPDPS said that six of the children complained of pain from the crash and were taken to Three Rivers Medical Center by both AMR ambulance and private vehicles, but none of the injuries were considered life-threatening.
Police identified the driver of the Sonata as 31-year-old Cary Hungerford of Los Angeles. Neither Hungerford or the bus driver were injured in the crash.
"The investigation revealed that both the school bus and Sonata were traveling northbound on Hwy 199 in the right lane," GPDPS said. "The bus stopped at Allen Creek Road for a red traffic signal. The Sonata failed to stop in time and collided with the rear of the school bus at an estimated speed of 35 mph."
Officers found Hungerford at fault for the crash and gave her a citation for "Following too Closely."
The Sonata had to be towed from the scene due to major front-end damage. The school bus was already out of the roadway and was eventually driven away from the scene.
GPDPS said that the right lane of Hwy 199 was closed for about 25 minutes while crews worked to remove the Sonata from the roadway.
"The Grants Pass Department of Public Safety would like to remind all drivers who are traveling during inclement weather to slow down, increase your following distance, and pay attention to other vehicles around you," the agency said.
- Cave Junction students brought to hospital after driver rear-ends school bus
- Death Investigation in Cave Junction
- Missing Cave Junction Woman Found Safe
- OSP Confirms Shots Fired In Cave Junction
- Officer-Involved Shooting in Cave Junction
- Cave Junction Bingo Fanatic Celebrates 100th Birthday
- Police Investigate Serial Arsonist Near Cave Junction
- Cave Junction Expands Smoking & Vaping Ban
- Grass Fire in Cave Junction Under Investigation
- 15-acre Fire Burns Near Cave Junction