BROOKINGS, Ore. — A woman has died following an ATV crash southeast of Brookings on Tuesday, according to a statement from Curry County Sheriff John Ward. One child was also hospitalized from the crash.
Sheriff Ward said that the Brookings Police Department relayed a report of the crash to the Sheriff's Office just before 4 p.m., indicating an ATV accident about seven and a half miles east of Highway 101 along the Winchuck River Road. The report said there were "several subjects with multiple serious injuries."
Brookings Police requested help from Cal Ore Life Flight and Reach Helicopter, along with Harbor Fire Department.
When Sheriff's deputies arrived at the scene, they began investigating the incident. Sheriff Ward said that 47-year-old Gina Theising of Simi Valley, California, had been driving an ATV Quad with a child on the seat in front of her. Two more children were sitting on the front rack of the ATV.
"The ATV went over backwards from the gravel road, dropping about twenty-seven feet straight down into the Winchuck River drainage," Sheriff Ward said.
Emergency crews found two people injured — Theising and one of the children. The two were brought back up to the roadway, then delivered down the river to a field. From there, the child was taken by ambulance to Sutter Coast Hospital. Theising was flown to Rogue Valley Hospital.
The hospital later reported to the Sheriff's Office that Theising had succumbed to her injuries. Her next of kin has been notified. Sheriff Ward did not say what the condition of the injured child is at this time.
"Our condolences go out to the family," Sheriff Ward said.
- California woman dies after Curry County ATV crash, child injured
- 911 In Curry County Fixed
- Passenger Dies in Rollover Crash on Highway 101 in Curry County
- Curry County Woman Accused of Sexually Abusing Minor
- Teens 'Remarkably' Unhurt After Curry County Car Crash and Fire
- One Person Killed in Curry County Crash On Highway 101
- Curry County Sheriff's Office Seeks Missing Man
- Wanted Suspects Arrested in Curry County
- Power outage affects thousands in Curry County
- Klamath Falls Woman Dies in Car Crash