CURRY COUNTY, Ore. — A California man reported missing along the Oregon Coast last week has been found dead from an apparent car crash.
The Curry County Sheriff's said that it found the body of Jerry Van Hoosen down an embankment on Monday afternoon. The crash site was along Highway 101, about four miles north of Gold Beach.
Two members of the Curry County Sheriff's Search and Rescue team spotted tire tracks in the dirt on the east side of the highway and stopped to investigate. After looking down the embankment, they saw a red Ford pickup with California plates.
Investigators later confirmed that the truck was Van Hoosen's, and his body was found in the wreckage. Deputies believe that Van Hoosen died from the crash back on February 8.
According to a post from Margaret Van Hoosen of Kerman, California, her husband Jerry was on a fishing trip along the Oregon coast when he went missing. Margaret made a report to Brookings Police on February 11 after losing contact with her husband.
"The last place he was seen was Brookings, Oregon. He was traveling to Coos Bay and Reedsport, Oregon," Margaret said.
Jerry Van Hoosen was driving a red 2007 Ford Ranger. Margaret said that he liked fishing along the Chetco River.
An update from Margaret indicated that Brookings Police has been searching the area near Mt. Emily east of the Chetco after they were able to ping his phone in the area. Officers found washed-out roads in the area due to rain.
"My thoughts are that he drove up there checking it out for a future fishing spot and got stuck up there from the rain," Margaret said. "I say thanks to all my family and friends and everyone out there that has responded to this post and has shared it. I am so overwhelmed with all the love and caring from you all. The prayers are a blessing keep them coming please!"
- Body of missing California man discovered north of Gold Beach
- Mans Body Found Along Oregon Beach
- Missing Gold Hill man found in Shasta County, California
- Gold Beach Rangers Open Up Firewood Cutting
- Gold Beach man arrested, accused of shooting two at campground
- UPDATE: Bodies, Vehicle Recovered From Missing California Family
- Police Chief 'Heartbroken' After Body Discovered in Creek
- Highway 101 South of Gold Beach Blocked by Landslide
- Three Arrested in Connection With Gold Beach Burglary
- Coast Guard rescues father, children kayaking near Gold Beach