LONDON (AP) - British actor Albert Finney, the Academy Award-nominated star of films from "Tom Jones" to "Skyfall," has died at the age of 82.
Finney's family said Friday that he "passed away peacefully after a short illness with those closest to him by his side."
Finney was a rare star who managed to avoid the Hollywood limelight for more than five decades after bursting to international fame in 1963 in the title role of "Tom Jones."
The film gained him the first of five Oscar nominations. Others followed for "Murder on the Orient Express," ''The Dresser," ''Under the Volcano" and "Erin Brockovich."
In later years he brought authority to action movies, including the James Bond thriller "Skyfall" and two of the Bourne films.
- British Actor, Albert Finney Dies At Age 82
- Actor Burt Reynolds Dead at 82 Years Old
- OSF Actor Catherine Coulson Dies
- OSF Actor Dies From Cancer
- Actor Frank Adonis, Known For 'Goodfellas,' Has Died
- Evangelist Billy Graham Dies at Age 99
- Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, Has Died at Age 76
- Former President George H.W. Bush has died at age 94.
- Actress and Director Penny Marshall Dies at Age 75