The 26th annual State of Jefferson Brewfest was officially cancelled last week when it was decided I-5 would be closed until further notice was given. It was supposed to take place this weekend.
Dunsmuir is a tourist town and without the traffic I-5 brings, many businesses are suffering.
"Our business is about 10 percent of what it should be," explained David Clarno, the co-owner of Dunsmuir Brewery Works.
Motels and restaurants are doing very little, if any business. "We are a tourist driven economy and the tourists are not coming," says Clarno. "People are hanging on to their money, hunkering down."
Some people like DJ Davies are still patronizing businesses. He and his girlfriend were had lunch today at one of their favorite local spots, Penny's Diner.
You know they're just good people," remarks Davies. "They're kind. They make good food. They don't try and beat around the bush or anything like that and just try and keep a good business like this running."
Even at this local Dunsmuir establishment right off of I-5, business has slowed to a trickle. Understandably, the residents of dunsmuir have a lot on their mind. As long as i-5 stays shut down, things don't look like they'll change anytime soon.
"People won't be buying gas," explains Clarno. "They won't be staying in motels. They won't be eating in restaurants. Devastating effect."
Business owners say it's especially hard because they say August was already a bad month for business and September has gotten off to an even worse start.
- Brewfest Cancelled, Business Suffers in Dunsmuir
- Grants Pass Brewfest happening now
- Dunsmuir Residents Stay Vigilant, Positive
- Delta Fire Puts Dunsmuir On Edge
- Small wildfire burning west of Dunsmuir
- Dunsmuir Neighbors Ready to Evacuate for Delta Fire
- Dunsmuir Community Pool in danger of staying closed this summer
- Detectives raid drug lab at recently vacated home in Dunsmuir
- BrewFest and Battle of the Bones Bring Thousands to the Expo
- Sheriff: Missing Dunsmuir Woman Got Lost in the Woods, Sheltered With Family