BEND, Ore. — A Bend man and cancer survivor just caught a lucky break when he won $4.6 with a Megabucks ticket, according to the Oregon Lottery.
Stu MacDonald and his wife Claudia had a tradition. When Stu would go to buy his weekly lottery ticket, Claudia would say "Get the winning ticket."
When Stu left on Saturday, September 7, Claudia forgot to tell him to pick a winner. Stu picked it anyway.
“I am a very lucky guy,” MacDonald said. “I have survived cancer twice and here I am. This is amazing.”
Stu bought a quick pick Megabucks ticket at Ashley's Cafe in Bend, then realized that he'd snagged the jackpot. He opted to take the lump sum of $2.3 million, down to $1.56 million after taxes.
"We are thrilled to learn that we sold a Megabucks jackpot,” said Tezra Kong, Director of Operations for Ashley’s. “We are excited for the team who sold the ticket. A big congratulations to our guests on their windfall. Some of the seller’s bonus will go back to the team that strive to delight our guests every day here at Ashley’s in Wagner Mall."
For selling the winning ticket Ashley’s Cafe will receive a one percent selling bonus of $46,000.
The Oregon Lottery said that it contributed more than $28.9 million to economic development, parks, education, and watershed enhancement in Deschutes County between 2015 and 2017. Oregon Lottery players have won more than $38 billion in prizes since 1985.
"The Oregon Lottery reminds players to always sign the back of their Lottery tickets, regardless of the game," the agency said. "In the event of winning a jackpot, they should consult with a trusted financial planner or similar professional to develop a plan for their winnings. Prize winners of more than $50,000 are advised to contact the Lottery office and schedule an appointment to claim their prize."
- Bend cancer survivor wins $4.6 million in Megabucks jackpot
- Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs to $1.6 Billion
- Mega Millions Jackpot Reaches $1B as Drawing Nears
- New York man wins $344 million Powerball jackpot by playing same numbers for 25 years
- Local Business Pampers Breast Cancer Survivors
- 6-Year-Old Cancer Survivor Gets Princess Makeover
- Roofer wins $50,000 Powerball prize, one number away from jackpot
- No one won the Powerball jackpot and now it's up to $750 million
- Great Clips Offers Free Haircuts To Cancer Survivors
- Study Looks at Pregnancy among Breast Cancer Survivors