PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Authorities in Oregon are taking advantage of the frenzy around the opening day of the latest Star Wars movie to catch a bad guy of their own.
Police in Portland on Friday nicknamed an alleged bank robber the "Palpatine Bandit" because of the dark-colored hoodie he wears during bank hold-ups.
Emperor Sheev Palpatine, also known as the Darth Sidious in the Star Wars franchise, wears a dark and hooded cloak.
The next installment in the movie franchise, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, opens in theaters Friday.
Police departments often give nicknames to bank robbery suspects to help generate tips from the public.
Police say this real-life robber held up a U.S. Bank branch on Thursday but was not armed.
He got away with an undisclosed amount of cash.
- Bank Robber Suspect's Nickname Cashes In On Star Wars Frenzy
- Police Seek Bank Robber in Grants Pass
- GUILTY: Bank Robber who caused a School Lock-down and Stabbing gets Prison Time
- Peach Street Robber Leaves Empty-Handed
- Medford Police Arrest Bank Robbery Suspect
- Southern Oregon Food Banks To Benefit From Trade War
- Disneyland to sell alcohol at Star Wars attraction
- Peter Mayhew, Chewbacca in 'Star Wars,' dies at 74
- Grave Robber Strikes Eternal Hills Cemetery in Klamath Falls
- Chase Bank Armed Robbery and Stabbing Suspect Identified