COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - California authorities have released a decades-old photo of a suspect in the 1973 killing of an 11-year-old girl in the hopes of jogging the memory of potential witnesses.
Officials in Orange County said Thursday that the photo may depict what James Neal looked like around the time Linda O'Keefe was killed. They're asking anyone who saw him around then to come forward. The photo shows a smiling Neal with bushy hair and a mustache.
The 72-year-old was in court in Colorado on Thursday. A judge scheduled a Feb. 28 hearing on his extradition.
Neal was arrested this week in Colorado Springs in the killing the girl in Newport Beach, California.
Linda was seen July 6, 1973, walking home from summer school, and her body was found the next day.
Authorities say Neal lived in Southern California in the 1970s.
- Authorities Release Photo Of Suspect In 1973 Cold Case
- New Age-Progressed Photo Released of Kyron Horman
- Authorities Search for Fugitive Rape Suspect
- Authorities Identify Suspect in Decapitation Murder
- Surveillance photos help police arrest burglary spree suspect
- Suspect Sought in Klamath County Theft Case
- Siskiyou Sheriff's Office Needs Public's Help to Crack Cold Case
- California Cold Case Murder Solved with DNA Database
- 40-Year-Old Cold Case: The Disappearance of Christie Farni
- Portland Police Arrest Man in Lawyer's Cold-Case Murder