ASHLAND, Ore. -- Ashland seniors want three commissioners gone. They are petitioning to recall them from the Ashland Parks and Recreation Department. The Ashland Recall group said this is because of the recent changes to the Ashland Senior Center. The group is in its fourth day of collecting signatures.
"This is a place where they know there are loving people who are lending an ear and probably have practical advice to cope with the crisis as well. And that's as important as anything else is to be a family. A family for a lot of these people," said Ashland Recall Representative Avram Chetron.
The group said the commissioners have not been listening to the community when discussing plans for the Senior Center.
"We think that they've really damaged the safety net for our most vulnerable seniors in the Ashland Senior Center and showing a willingness to undo that damage which is within their ability to do on such short notice," Chetron said.
The group hopes if they are able to successfully recall the three commissioners they will be replaced people who see the importance of the senior center.
"The ultimate goal is to restore the vitality and function of the Ashland Senior Center as a safety net and a warm caregiving place for our seniors who have no other place to go," Chetron added.
The group has 90 days to collect 1,700 signatures. NewsWatch 12 reached out to the Ashland Parks and Recreation Department. The Director, Michael Black, said the department is aware of the petition to recall the commissioners but would not comment.
- Ashland Seniors Petition to Recall Three Commissioners
- Petitions Submitted to Recall Port of Brookings Harbor Commissioners
- Ashland surveying seniors
- TODAY: Ashland Recall Election
- Ashland Firefighters Serve Thanksgiving to Seniors
- Ashland Senior Center preparing seniors for disaster situations
- Ashland Recall Election Ballots Are Coming
- Signatures for Governor Kate Brown recall petition due this week
- Group gathers signatures for petition to recall Governor Brown
- Ashland Water