ASHLAND, Ore. -- On Friday, March 2, 2018 at approximately 7:25 p.m. Officer Malcus Williams suffered a major medical event while on duty and on the scene of a call. Other officers who were on scene rendered aid and summoned expedited medical assistance from Ashland Fire and Rescue. Paramedics arrived on scene and transported Officer Williams to Providence Hospital where the emergency department staff continued to work on him. Officer Williams passed away at approximately 9:00 p.m.
The Ashland Police Department Chief Tighe O'Meara said there is no one out there who can say a bad word about Officer Williams.
"He personifies the demeanor that we want in police officers. He's calm, he's patient, he's respectful of everybody. Malcus was that rare police officer that is universally liked. You will not find a person in the city of Ashland or in Jackson County that has anything bad to say about Malcus and that's including people that he's arrested. He's been a really important part of this community for a lifetime."
Officer Williams is survived by his wife, Ona, and three daughters, Savannah, Georgia and Brooklyn, as well as his sisters Cindy and Amy, who is also a member of the Ashland Police Department. Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming. The Ashland Police Department would ask that the privacy of the family be respected as they work through this difficult loss.
Officer Williams started his career with the Ashland Police Department on December 9, 1996, End of Watch March 2, 2018.
You can help by donating to a fund managed by the Oregon Fallen Badge Foundation here or you can go to any US Bank Branch and reference the Oregon Fallen Badge Foundation and Officer Malcus Williams.
Tune in to NewsWatch 12 Special Edition at 8pm for the complete story.
- Ashland Police Officer Dies on Duty from 'Major Medical Event'
- Talent Hosts Major Recycling Event
- Community Remembers Fallen Ashland Police Officer
- More US Police Officers Die on Duty Than Before
- Portland Police Officer Sentenced For Having Sex On Duty
- Ashland Water
- Ashland Police Department honors fallen Ashland Police Officer in Washington, DC
- 'Reckless Driving' crash causes lost power for Ashland medical facilities
- Lawmakers pass resolution honoring fallen Ashland Police Officer Malcus Williams
- Ceremony for Fallen Ashland Police Officer Will Proceed on Saturday