ASHLAND, Ore.-- The nation is beginning a week of mourning police officers who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. This year, a southern Oregon officer is among them.
Thousands are in Washington, DC in honor of National Police Week. The Ashland Police Department (APD) is also there honoring fallen Officer Malcus Williams. He died while responding to a call in March 2018. He was added to the Oregon Fallen Officer Memorial on May 7th. Monday evening, he was one of the many fallen officers honored at the 31st Annual Candlelight Vigil.
Nearly 22,000 names are on the National Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial. This year, more than 370 are now added including Ashland Police Officer Malcus Williams.
"He was universally respected,” said Ashland Police Chief Tighe O’Meara. “He had a way of dealing with people that brought out the best in each person."
Thousands gathered to celebrate and honor those officers who died in the line of duty in 2018 with a candlelit vigil. His name was read aloud with the other officers who died last year. Chief O’Meara said there were a lot of tears and a lot of emotion but a lot of love and support to Officer Williams' family and the department on an international scale.
"There's something really powerful in that consolidation of people, that group of people coming together to show support for everyone who has fallen and everyone who continues to serve as a law enforcement officer," Chief O’Meara added.
It's been more than a year since Officer Williams died and there's not a day that goes by where he is not missed.
The Ashland Police Department will stay in Washington, DC this week to continue to honor Officer Williams. They will go to the National Peace Officers’ Memorial Service on Wednesday, May 15th.
- Ashland Police Department honors fallen Ashland Police Officer in Washington, DC
- Community Remembers Fallen Ashland Police Officer
- Ceremony for Fallen Ashland Police Officer Will Proceed on Saturday
- Volunteers Save Ashland Police Department $84,302
- Fallen Ashland officer's name joins those honored at state memorial
- Ashland Water
- Ashland Police Asks Community To Support Oregon Fallen Badge Foundation
- Ashland Officer Malcus Williams Approved for Fallen Law Enforcement Memorial
- UPDATE: Medal of Ultimate Sacrifice Approved for Fallen Ashland Police Officer
- Ashland Police "Mistakenly" Arrest African American Man