BEIRUT (AP) - The U.S. military says American service members have been killed during an explosion while conducting a routine patrol in Syria.
The military said in a tweet about Wednesday's blast in the northern Syrian town of Manbij: "We are still gathering information and will share additional details at a later time."
A Syrian war monitor, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, reported earlier that at least two U.S. soldiers were killed in the suicide attack outside a restaurant in Manbij.
The Kurdish Hawar news agency, based in northern Syria, said three Americans were killed.
The blast killed a total of 16 people including nine civilians according to the Observatory.
- Americans Killed In Attack In Syria
- Millions of Americans Commemorate 9/11 Terror Attacks
- UN Team Fired Upon at Suspected Syria Chemical Attack Site
- Chemical Arms Experts Arrive at Site of Alleged Attack in Syria
- American Killed by Isolated Tribe on Indian Island
- President Trump Announces Allied Strike on Syria
- President Trump Withdrawing Troops From Syria
- Teen Killed, Sister Wounded in Train Station Stabbing Attack
- Wolf Attack Kills Guard Dog in Jackson County
- Police: Dog Shot, Killed After Attacking Woman in Central Point