KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — A Chiloquin man has been convicted on multiple felony charges after a largely secretive court case that began in early April with a warrant issued for his arrest.
The April arrest warrant for John Maldonado Jr. stemmed from a secret indictment approved by a grand jury—where prosecutors presented evidence to the jury that Maldonado deserved to be arrested and tried.
Included in the indictment were seven serious charges—Attempted Aggravated Murder with a Firearm, Solicitation to Commit Aggravated Murder (w/ Firearm), Unlawful Use of a Weapon (w/ Firearm), Coercion (w/ Firearm), Felon in Poessession of a Firearm, Criminal Mistreatment in the First Degree, and Tampering with Physical Evidence.
Although the court chose not to make public the witness statements that brought about these charges, the allegations themselves told a story:
In early 2017, the prosecution said, Maldonado ordered his 16-year-old son to shoot and kill his 11-year-old younger brother. Moldonado allegedly did this by threatening to frame the older boy for the murder if he didn't agree to pull the trigger—going so far as to grab the older boy by the ear and yank him, then placing the boy's fingerprints on the gun.
Today, Moldonado was convicted after pleading guilty to four of those charges. The three most serious charges were dismissed. Moldonado now stands guilty of Coercion, Felon in Possession of a Firearm, Criminal Mistreatment in the First Degree, and Tampering with Physical Evidence—the first three being felony crimes and the final one a misdemeanor.
Moldonado will be sentenced for those crimes on Tuesday morning.
- Klamath County Man Convicted on Felony Charges
- Sheriff's Office Seeks Missing Klamath County Man
- Man killed in Klamath County crash
- Klamath County Declares Drought Emergency
- Klamath County Air Stagnation Advisory
- Woman charged in death of Klamath County construction worker
- Klamath Falls Man Arrested in Douglas County After Deputy Pursuit
- One Man Dead After Officer Involved Shooting in Klamath County
- Klamath Falls Man Arrested After Pursuit
- Klamath Falls Man Arrested for Attempted Murder