MEDFORD, Ore. -- The Intro to Robotics class at South Medford High School is just one of the many CTE classes offered in Medford high schools. CTE stands for Career and Technical Education.
"They are a chance for students to get engaged and motivated in hands-on, high tech, high skilled demand type learning. All of those things that the students have an opportunity to have a really high leveled job in a very short amount of time if they are successful," said South Medford High School’s CTE Director Chair Wade Cadrmas.
Governor Kate Brown said yesterday in her State of the State Address that she wants to make sure students have the skills to fill job openings throughout Oregon. Mr. Cadrmas said that's exactly what South Medford High School is doing. Teachers find out from local industry professionals the different skills high school students need in order to be successful once they graduate. Students can start taking CTE classes as freshman, like now senior Hunter Thomas did.
"The CTE classes really help with our careers and help students get pointed in the right direction," he said.
His goal once he graduates is to own and operate his own contracting business by the time he's 30 like many members of his family. So far, Thomas said he's taken just about every CTE business class offered at his school. When he graduates, Thomas said he'll be able to get his dream rolling.
“Classes like that here really give me a boost of confidence quite honestly. I learned stuff from my grandpa and my uncles who all own their own businesses but these classes really dive into the basics of business. Then as you get into the high level classes you really dive into the key principles of business and how to run a business and the different types of managing," Thomas said.
The Medford School District wants to know what the community thinks about CTE programs. The school district is holding a town hall on Wednesday, February 7th from 6-7:30PM.
Medford School District Education Center Boardroom
815 S. Oakdale Ave.
- Hands-on Learning Classes Already Offered at Medford Schools
- RCC program offers hands-on STEM learning just for girls
- Medford man builds his own prosthetic hand
- Medford Post Office Offers Holiday Retail Hours
- Providence Medford Offers Free Lung Cancer Screenings
- Local kids learn about STEM through hands-on activities
- Medford schools completing seismic upgrades
- Medford Education Association calls on school district to cancel classes for walkout
- The Family Connection offers classes and workshops to help parents
- Butte Falls Charter School Cancels Classes