APPLEGATE LAKE, Ore. -- The case of a woman found dead in Applegate Lake over three decades ago remains unsolved.
Vida Mae Hirschy was reported missing by her husband in 1984. One year later, her body was found in the lake.
The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office says Hirschy’s husband was identified as a suspect in her disappearance.
Detectives say he was interviewed at the time and while not admitting guilt, he inferred that he was responsible.
As of 2008, the suspect was living in a rest home in Medford.
The case was referred to the Jackson County District Attorney, who declined prosecution.
The sheriff's office says the case was resubmitted, but while the DA's office was reviewing the case, it was determined that the suspect could not be prosecuted due to age-related mental deficiencies.
Detectives say he is no longer able to understand the charges against him or even recall committing the crimes.
- Unsolved: Vida Mae Hirschy (1984-85)
- Unsolved: Gregory Bowles (2015)
- Unsolved: Christopher Evans (2013)
- Unsolved: Kimberly Mericle (2017)
- Unsolved: Jeremy Bright (1986)
- Unsolved: Kattie Talbert (1998)
- Unsolved: Dwain Hodge (2014)
- Unsolved: Cindy King (1977)
- Unsolved: Sheron Cheney (1997)
- Unsolved: Troy Carney (2008)