MEDFORD, Ore. -- We're just weeks away from the new school year and Sparrow Clubs is putting together a lineup of new Sparrows.
One of the new Sparrows is a baby who is waiting for open heart surgery. Seven and a half-month-old Indiana Nelson was born with a malformation of the heart. He has a hole in his heart, along with other issues leading to a lack of blood and oxygen throughout the body.
The Nelson family said Indiana was just eight days old when they got the news.
"I think the day we found out, that was a dark day," his mom, Erika, said. She went on to say, "When they give you the news it's really hard to hear. Especially since they told you he's going to have to have open heart surgery. You think of something so tiny and fragile having to endure something like that."
Now, Indiana is going to become a Sparrow.
Erika said, "To learn there's this group of people that are rallying around you and rooting for you, it is really special."
Indiana is scheduled for open heart surgery later this month.
- Baby Days Away from Open Heart Surgery
- Valley Plastic Surgery
- Matters of the Heart
- Improving Your Heart Health
- High-Tech Robot Adds Precision To Surgery
- Local Owls Get Much-Needed Eye Surgery
- New Surgery Center Coming To Medford
- National Wear Red Day: Raising Awareness About Heart Disease
- Mt. Ashland Second Opening Day
- Music that Hits the Heart