MERLIN, Ore. -- Two Southern Oregon businesses are getting huge checks. A Lil' Pantry in Merlin sold a $2 million winning Powerball ticket. Now the store is getting its cut, which is a check for $20,000 from the Oregon Lottery. The J'Ville Tavern in Jacksonville also received a check for $10,000 for selling a million-dollar winning Powerball ticket.
Joscelyn Batties, Lil' Pantry General Manager, said the man who bought the ticket has been playing the lottery at that store for about 20 years.
"Seeing him come in all the time, it's really cool that he won," Batties said.
She said he wants to remain anonymous, but he is enjoying his winnings.
"He's way excited, he has a big trip planned," Batties said.
When a big win like this happens, the Oregon Lottery gives a selling bonus check to the business where it was sold. That check equals one percent of the total winnings. Dale Hurst, Lil' Pantry Owner, said the store's plans for the money.
"We passed out approximately $9,000 of it in bonuses to every staff member that works here," Hurst said. The rest is going toward fixing up the store.
Oregon Lottery officials made a trip out to Merlin a few years ago for another big winner.
"We had a five out of six lower tier Powerball winner of a million dollars," Hurst said.
The Oregon Lottery also made a trip to Jacksonville Wednesday where a million-dollar Powerball ticket was sold at the J'Ville Tavern. They presented a $10,000 check to Jane Lee and Andy Gough, the Tavern's owners. Lottery officials also handed out free Powerball tickets at both locations.
Oregon Lottery officials said the Jacksonville winner also wants to remain anonymous.
Jim Akins sold the winning ticket. He said people come from all over just to buy lottery tickets in Jacksonville since there have been several big wins.
"I've had people come from Washington to buy at Jacksonville Tavern," Akins said.
The Oregon Lottery started selling tickets in 1985. It has earned more than $11 billion for economic development, public education, state parks, and watershed enhancements.
- 2 Southern Oregon Businesses Receive Powerball Bonus Checks
- Report: Southern Oregon Cities Receive Questionable Safety Ratings
- Small Change: Southern Oregon's Small Businesses Speak Out
- Three Southern Oregon Businesses Rank Among Top 5,000 in Nation
- Prescribed burns in Southern Oregon
- Southern Oregon Fire Crews Aid Southern California in Wildfire Fight
- Oscar Nominations Connect Hollywood to Southern Oregon
- Thousands Seek Flu Treatment In Southern Oregon
- Crabbing Closed Along Southern Oregon Coast
- Southern Oregon Tops State in Gas Prices