HUGO, Ore. — A 15-year-old boy is in custody following an armed robbery at a store in the town of Hugo on Monday, according to the Josephine County Sheriff's Office (JCSO).
Just after 6:15 p.m. on Monday, deputies responded to a 911 call from an employee at the Hugo Hitching Post at 6411 Hugo Road. The caller said that the store had just been robbed at gunpoint.
When JCSO deputies and troopers from the Oregon State Police arrived at the scene, they secured the store and searched the area for a man who had fled the scene before they arrived. Investigators believe that the store was robbed by a "lone masked male suspect wearing gloves," who had demanded money from a cashier after pointing a gun. The suspect took an undisclosed amount of money and fled the scene on foot.
"During an interview with the cashier, a male juvenile suspect was identified based on prior contacts at the store and video surveillance," JCSO said in a statement. "An attempt to locate the juvenile at his residence was unsuccessful."
But on Tuesday morning, deputies arrested the 15-year-old suspect "as he was leaving his residence in a vehicle being driven by his mother," JCSO said.
Investigators later recovered the stolen cash and the weapon used during the robbery — a black and silver pellet gun, "which resembled a real semi-automatic handgun."
The boy was brought to the Josephine County Juvenile Justice Center, charged with Robbery in the Second Degree. JCSO says that the case has been referred to the District Attorney's office.
- 15-Year-Old Arrested Following Gunpoint Robbery at Hugo Store
- 15-year-old found safe
- Lanes Blocked Near Hugo From Semi-Truck Crash
- Hugo Road Fire Evacuees Anxiously Wait to Return Home
- Crews Holding Hugo Road Fire at 199 Acres, Homes Destroyed
- FEMA Okays Funds for Hugo Road Fire, Cites 'Major Disaster'
- Wildfire along I-5 north of Hugo knocked down and lined
- K9 leads officers to arrest woman in Hugo, seize meth and heroin
- Medford Robbery Suspect Arrested
- Over 200 People Still Under Level 3 Evacuations for Hugo Road Fire