It 's called the "National Near-Earth Object Preparedness Strategy and Action Plan." This plan outlines the steps NASA, the White House, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will take over the next decade to prevent and prepare for a dangerous asteroid strike to Earth.
In the report, NASA officials explain how they hope to demonstrate asteroid deflections, and the potential effects it could have on Earth.
Also detailed in the report are five ways to prepare for asteroids. From detecting, tracking, and more effective decision-making, to increasing international cooperation to prepare the rest of the world, and coming up with a plan of emergency procedures if they found an asteroid headed toward Earth.
NASA already supports several ground-based observations that scan the skies for asteroids, including the Catalina Sky Survey, right here in Tucson.
Download the full plan here... https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/National-Near-Earth-Object-Preparedness-Strategy-and-Action-Plan-23-pages-1MB.pdf
- NASA has a new plan to protect Earth from an asteroid strike
- NASA spacecraft meets with asteroid
- Small asteroid will pass very close to Earth on Friday
- NASA shoots first 8K video of Earth
- Settle down, guys. A skull-shaped asteroid is not headed for Earth this Halloween
- NASA breaks record for pictures taken farthest from Earth
- La misión OSIRIS-REx de la NASA encuentra agua en asteroide Bennu
- NASA tracked three large asteroids zipping by today -- and one was closer than the moon
- See the images rover took on asteroid
- Robot sends new images from asteroid's surface