SEVERE WX : Air Stagnation Advisory View Alerts

8-year-old dies from flesh-eating bacteria

An eastern Oregon boy died in Portland over the weekend after an eight-day battle with flesh-eating bacteria.T...

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 6:14 PM
Updated: Jan 25, 2018 6:14 PM

An eastern Oregon boy died in Portland over the weekend after an eight-day battle with flesh-eating bacteria.

The boy's mother, Sara Hebard, told FOX 12 she wants to warn other parents about how easily and quickly this disease spreads, explaining that the tragedy all started when her son fell off his bike.

She explained her 8-year-old son Liam Flanagan was riding his bike on the driveway of his family's farm in pilot rock when he took a bad fall. He went to the emergency room in nearby Pendleton with a bloody thigh wound near his groin.

Hebard said Liam was stitched up with seven stitches and that she thought that should have been the end of it, but Liam complained of pain.

At first, Hebard said she treated it with Tylenol, but the pain seemed to get worse - much worse.

Hebard said they took Liam back to the hospital in Pendleton where he had emergency surgery. He was then airlifted to Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland where he underwent several more surgeries.

Flesh-eating bacteria can spread very quickly. Doctors tried to cut it out from muscle and tissue stretching from Liam's ankle to his armpit.

Hebard is still shocked that all of this started when her son fell off his bicycle.

"It wasn't a big deal. It wasn't a bad one. It just needed a few stitches is all, that's it," she told FOX 12. "And he was taking it like a trooper. I mean, how… how… that's what I ask – how? And there's just no answer."

Liam Flanagan died Sunday in Portland. He was a second-grader at Pilot Rock Elementary School.

Hebard said he was a sweet, kind boy who never made an enemy and made everyone around him happy. Her advice to other parents is simple.

"I would have to say for one, hug your children tight because you never know how quickly it goes, and then to pay attention to them and don't just take for granted it could just be a simple accident," she said. "And to spread awareness because people don't know. I had never even heard of this before."

Article Comments

Medford
Clear
58° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 58°
Brookings
Clear
55° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 47°
Feels Like: 55°
Crater Lake
Clear
42° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 42°
Grants Pass
Clear
52° wxIcon
Hi: 64° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 52°
Klamath Falls
Clear
42° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 42°
Staying Dry Tomorrow
KDRV Radar
KDRV Fire Danger
KDRV Weather Cam

Community Events

Latest Video

Image

Firehouse Subs veterans fundraiser

Image

Monday, November 11th Evening Weather

Image

Health alert: Negative effects of screen time

Image

Honoring those who have served our nation

Image

Staff planning next steps after fire at ARC in Medford

Image

Daily J! - Holidays

Image

Free car service for Veterans

Image

Firehouse Subs supports Veterans

Image

Josephine County groups hold Veterans Day Ceremonies

Image

Dancing with the Rogue Valley Stars raises record amount for Sparrow Clubs