President Donald Trump's approval rating sank to a new low in CNN polling on Tuesday, earning the approval of just 35% of Americans less than a year into his first term.
That's a significant drop from the 45% approval rating that Trump had in March, shortly after taking office.
President Trump's approval rating was already low
It continues to set records for a President at this point in his term
It marks the worst approval rating in a December of any elected president's first year in the White House by a wide margin --and only the second time since the dawn of modern polling that a president's approval rating sank under 50% at this point. A broad 59% of Americans said they disapprove of how Trump is handling his job as president.
George W. Bush ended his first calendar year at 86% approval, John F. Kennedy hit 77%, George H.W. Bush reached 71% and Dwight Eisenhower hit 69%.
Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama all finished their first calendar year with approval ratings in the mid-to-high 50s.
Ronald Reagan, previously holder of the worst approval rating in December of a first year in the White House, finished his first calendar year at 49%. (Note: There's time to recover; Reagan cruised to a landslide reelection despite this distinction.)
This is according to a half century of available polling data from CNN, CNN/ORC, CNN/USA Today/Gallup and Gallup.
Trump maintains strong approval numbers among those in his own party --85% --but struggles with independents at 33% and Democrats at just 4%.
The CNN Poll was conducted by SSRS December 14-17 among a random national sample of 1,001 adults reached on landlines or cellphones by a live interviewer. Results for the full sample have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.8 percentage points, it is larger for subgroups.
- Trump's approval rating just entered a league of its own
- Trump's approval rating at 32%
- No, Trump's approval rating hasn't caught up to Obama's
- Trump tweeted his black approval rating has doubled. It hasn't.
- CNN Poll: President Trump's approval rating edges up to 40%
- Monmouth Poll: Trump sees uptick in approval rating
- Trump's approval rating dips to 37%, new poll finds
- Trump approval rating improves slightly, but still underwater
- Trump's approval rating is *this* close to Obama's and Reagan's
- CNN Poll: Approval ratings for Trump, Mueller fall