«

»

Stove Pipe Fire in Ashland Home

Ashland Fire and RescueASHLAND, Ore. — Ashland Fire & Rescue along with Jackson County Fire District #5 responded to a second alarm structure fire on the 500 block of Elkader St at 8:52 a.m. on Saturday.

The fire was reported to be burning in the attic of the home. Though the homeowner attacked the fire with a hose from outside of the home, firefighters had to access the attic from inside and tear into the roof from the outside to completely extinguish the fire.

The fire originated where the stove pipe exited the wall and went through the roofing to the chimney. There was damage to items stored in the attic and smoke damage in the home.

“As the cold weather sets in, it’s really important for residents to inspect all heating sources to make sure they are well maintained for the winter heating season,” said Battalion Chief Dana Sallee, incident commander at the fire.

Twenty firefighters and command staff from Ashland and District #5 responded to the second alarm fire.

Safety information on winter fire preparedness is available here.