PENDLETON, Ore. — The Oregon Department of Transportation is saying it will not consider using salt on Interstate 84. This is in spite of recent incidents there including the fatal tour bus crash.
ODOT said numerous other wrecks involving cars driving in from states use salt. Instead, officials are testing salt on Interstate 5 near the California border, and on US 95, because it cuts through Southern Oregon between Nevada and Idaho.
Oregon State Police are releasing the name of the 9th victim in that fatal bus crash that killed 9 people and injured 38 others along Interstate 84 east of Pendleton, Oregon. Eight of the injured are reportedly still being treated in a hospital. The final deceased victim is identified as Richard Michael Sohn, age 19, from Bellevue, Washington.
The other previously released deceased victims’ names are:
* Yongho Lee, age 75 (female), from Lynnwood, Washington
* Youmin Kim, age 11 (female), from Korea
* Chun Ho Bahn, age 63 (female), from Bothell, Washington
* Ae Ja Kim, age 61 (female), from Gangwon Province, Korea
* Oun Hong Jung, age 67, and his wife, Joong Wha Kim, age 63, from Korea
* Seokmin Moon, age 55, from Maple Ridge, British Columbia
* Dale William Osborn, age 57, from Spanaway, Washington
The Oregon State Police and State Medical Examiner’s Office worked with Korean Consulate, Consulate of Canada, the victims’ families in helping to identify the deceased.