«

»

Murphy Restaurant Fire Investigated

video preview image

MURPHY, Ore. – An early Sunday morning fire has destroyed a major portion of what was only a two-week-old business. A passerby called 911 just after midnight, after spotting flames coming out of the roof of Phatty McGee’s Restaurant. Rural Metro Fire immediately responded, joined by six other neighboring agencies.

Officials say it wasn’t until an hour and a half later that the fire was completely under control. Containment was made difficult as the building began to fall apart and beams began to split, making it dangerous for firefighters to walk into. Crews were able to save a portion of the structure and salvage multiple items, including a safe and business records.

“That I think the most devastating part about all of this, we became a family, and to sit here and watch that destroyed was just devastating,” said restaurant manager Marni Huie.

Surveillance videos that were also salvaged are being used to aid in determining how and where the fire may have first started. Those images did not show any flames below the cameras when the fire began, leading investigators to believe it ignited in an area above that, most likely an electrical glitch. As investigation efforts continue, owners say their work is also not done. Their plan is to rebuild the restaurant, but on a smaller scale.