By Sharon Ko
MEDFORD, Ore. — Fire crews believe a man smoking a cigarette is to blame for starting a small fire outside of a Best Buy store Tuesday night. Employees called fire crews around 7 p.m. when they noticed smoke coming out from their trash compactor.
Fire crews say when they arrived on scene, a man who appeared to be homeless was sitting next to the compactor. They say the source of the flames was from a pile of cardboard boxes and several cigarette ends near it. Employees believe that man has been there before.
“He did leave, yes, and they don’t know who it is. It’s probably a good thing for him that they don’t know who it is, because they’d want to charge him with something,” says Medford Fire-Rescue Captain Steve Shafer.
Fire crews say incidents like this are not unusual. They often respond to fires starting in dumpsters or garbages.