Marijuana Growers May Need a Permit

SALEM, Ore. — An Oregon congressman says he wants marijuana to be treated like alcohol. Democrat Earl Blumenauer, along with a congressman from Colorado, unveiled the plan yesterday.

They both want the federal government to treat marijuana like alcohol. In states where it’s legalized, growers would have to get a federal permit first.

The congressmen also wants a 50% tax on the first sale of pot, usually a grower selling to a retailer.

Representative Earl Blumenauer says, “This is a unique opportunity … even reduce the deficit.”

The Senate Judiciary Committee already planned a hearing to figure out how to handle the differences between federal marijuana laws and those passed by the states.