GRANTS PASS, Ore. — A fire that destroyed much of a Grants Pass home over the weekend is now being investigated as arson. Firefighters say the flames were sparked early Saturday morning.
Crews from Rural-Metro Fire Department responded to the fire on Hamilton Lane at about 3 a.m. Saturday, after a neighbor called 9-1-1. After ruling out electrical problems, lightning or weather as the cause of the flames, crews believe the fire was intentionally set. The State Fire Marshal and an Oregon State Police Arson Unit are now investigating.
“The front porch area was fully involved in fire and the fire had breached into the attic and had vented through the roof prior to our arrival,” Mike Shaw with the Rural-Metro Fire Department commented.
Firefighters say the homeowners had been gone for about two weeks before the fire. They have been notified of the damage.