ASHLAND, Ore. — Officials are urging new caution after fire crews and utility workers respond to a residential gas leak in Ashland.
On Wednesday, contractors working in the yard of the house failed to mark the gas line before digging. During a service change, one of the crew hit a natural gas line.
Utility workers located the break, and pinched it off, but the entire gas line had to be replaced. The contractor says he knew what happened when he started smelling rotten egg.
“Honestly, it was just a really bad gas smell, call 911. Really, if I had Avista’s number, I probably would’ve called them first,” said contractor Will Richey.
No one was home at the time. Fire officials say most gas leaks are human-caused. They say before digging, natural gas lines should be located by an official and marked.