MEDFORD, Ore. — Several people are injured from a blast caused by making hash oil.
Monday night, on the 600 block of Royal Avenue, police found two men with severe burns and a 12-year-old girl with broken bones. That girl jumped out from the two-story apartment building to escape the blast. The two men were taken to a Portland hospital and the girl was taken to a Southern Oregon hospital.
At that apartment complex, police found items believed to be equipment used to make hash oil or honey oil, the oil is a purer, more potent marijuana byproduct. Anytime you mix flammable gas in a closed space, with any type of heat source nearby, an explosion can result. This blast is a prime example of a hash oil making process gone wrong.
It is legal to make hash oil if you have a medical marijuana card. There are several YouTube videos online demonstrating how it’s made. One video shows loose marijuana being packed into a glass tube, like a turkey baster and butane is poured through it; that oil drips down mixed with butane. To separate the butane from it a different heat source is used.
Without proper ventilation, the lingering vapors build up. Any open flame, like a cigarette or anything that can spark that gas, is going to cause an explosion.
“When it comes to dealing with any type of combustible fluid, whether or not you’re making hash oil or doing anything, anytime that you have combustible fumes, you got to make sure it’s in a well-ventilated are,” said Medford Police Lt. Mike Budreau
Hash oil is also called honey oil. Honey oil is a thicker and sticky form, users make this oil to draw out THC from marijuana. They “dab” this oil on their marijuana, giving them a more intense high.