«

»

Deadly House Fire is Accidental

video preview image

[UPDATE 6:45 P.M.] — Rogue River Police have confirmed the cause of an overnight house fire in Rogue River that killed two people and sent a third to the hospital. Police said, Johanna Campbell-Smith, 47 of Rogue River, was able to escape the burning home by jumping from a bedroom window. The home owner, Theodore Stanfield, 77, and Karen Crayne, 56 of Rogue River, were not able to escape and died in the flames. Rogue River Police said the cause of the fire is believed to be a cigarette left burning on a living room sofa, after excessive alcohol use at an earlier “dinner party” held by the residents. This fire has been classified as accidental.

ROGUE RIVER, Ore. — An early morning house fire in the 1000 block Pine St. in Rogue River killed two people and sent a third to the hospital.

At 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, Fire District One responded to the home and began working to put out the flames. The house was built in the 1940′s, according to officials. Fire officials said it was a total loss.

Three people were in the house at the time of the fire.  One managed to escape through a window, but the other two did not make it out in time.

Neighbors from across the street noticed the fire in the early morning hours and called it in.  Fire officials say deaths are more likely when fires break out over night.

“People are asleep, and the best home defense for fire is smoke detectors… working smoke detectors to alert the occupants that there is something going on and hopefully give them the time to get out,” said Fire Chief Jim Stearns, Rogue River Fire District One.

Fire crews from Rogue River Fire District One, Medford Fire District Three, and Rural Metro were all on scene along with the county medical examiner and Rogue River Police.

The fire remains under investigation.

1 comment

No ping yet

  1. Sean says:

    Why would you publish a picture of the supposed rescuers smiling and laughing? Not very well thought out…

Comments have been disabled.