KLAMATH FALLS -- The Southern Oregon women's basketball team marched onto Danny Miles Court and looked like they were going to control their game against Oregon Tech and easily pull out their seventh straight win. It turned out not to be so straight forward.
The Raiders led by as many as 14 points in the third quarter, mostly keyed by star guard Remi Mejia, who finished with a game-high 30 points. She hit a three to make it 53-41 SOU and it felt like the dagger. It wasn't.
Down 12 going into the fourth quarter, Oregon Tech fought back. Mikaela Shumaker came up with a couple huge shots down the stretch to cut into the lead. With under 30 seconds to play, Mejia went to the line up by two with a chance to ice the game. She missed both free throws and gave the Owls a chance to tie it or win.
On the ensuing inbounds, the Owls got it up top, fed Nohea Waiwaiole, who worked her way inside and finished off a layup in traffic with six seconds left to tie it. Toria Bradford rushed the other way for SOU and got up a really good look at the final horn, but it hit off the rim and bounced out, forcing overtime.
In the extra frame, SOU went on top early, but down by two, Waiwaiole stepped into a three and drilled it to bring the crowd at Danny Miles Court to its feet as the Owls took a one-point lead.
Tied with under 10 seconds left and seemingly headed for a second overtime, the Raiders found a way to get it done. The inbound pass went to Casey Williams and she went to work. She backed her defender down and put up a floater with four seconds left that softly fell through the net to put the Raiders back on top.
In a hurry, the Owls threw the ball away right after the bucket and with two free throws with 2.3 seconds left on the clock, Bradford gave the 11th-ranked Raiders the hardfought W, 83-79.
The Raiders are now 14-1 overall while the Owls had their 3-game winning streak snapped as they fall to 10-7 overall.
- Oregon Tech Women Storm Back, But Fall to (11) SOU in Overtime
- One Year Later, Oregon Tech Ladies Stun (9) SOU Again
- (19) Oregon Tech Pads Resume with 15-Point Win Over (9) SOU
- Behind Fink's 42-Point Outburst, Oregon Tech Takes Season Series From SOU
- SOU Men and Women Basketball Sweep Corban
- Oregon Tech Men Reach NAIA National Tournament
- Kaison Faust Makes Oregon Tech Signing Official
- (18) Oregon State Beats (7) Oregon for 14th Straight Time in Overtime Thriller
- Southern Oregon MBB Clips Oregon Tech in Scoring-Friendly Thriller
- Oregon Tech Tops NCAA DII Power Western Oregon