MEDFORD -- You never know when a new passion will strike and for Cascade Christian's Saige Bostwick, a passion for bowling didn't strike until a couple weeks ago. She was a casual bowler, but was asked about training with the high school team. Before she knew it, things took off.
"I was gonna be the back up in case one of the girls was sick for one of the tournaments or something, but now I have my own bowling ball and wrist brace and everything," Bostwick said.
She's jumped right in and has eliminated a learning curve that is generally steeper for most. Cascade Christian senior bowler Jace Mitchell has seen her improvement firsthand.
"I've never seen someone move as fast as she does," Mitchell said, "She only started maybe three weeks ago and she's already better than most on the girl's side."
Starting to learn the techniques involved in the sport has made Bostwick devote even more energy to the sport, a sport much more sedentary than sports like soccer that she's used to. She's caught on so quickly and enjoyed the sport so much, she now wants to play in college.
"I might be going to college in Nevada and I was thinking about seriously joining a bowling team over there," Bostwick said.
So, Saige shows that sometimes passions start simply, or later than most, but the power of an individual sport can overtake you in the blink of an eye. Bostwick herself didn't even see this coming.
"I didn't think I'd actually get this involved, but here I am."
- Amateur Athlete: In Final High School Semester, Saige Bostwick Finding Passion for Bowling
- Amateur Athlete: Crossfit Athletes Rally Around Inspirational Bauer White
- Amateur Athlete(s): Kya Hammersley & Maddy Lease Add New Twist to the Canal Bowl
- Amateur Athlete: To Their Own Tune, North Medford's Houck and Biddle Find Success Balancing Football, Band
- Amateur Athlete of the Week: Clay Shooter Chase Costanti Aims High and Doesn't Miss
- Amateur Athlete: Joe Wallace Carves Competition With Wooden Creations
- Amateur Athlete: Trevahn Foster, Southern Oregon's Most Prolific Shot Blocker
- Amateur Athlete: Gallagher Training Triathletes and Everyone in Between
- Amateur Athlete: Donovyn Hunter, Medford's 13-year-old Basketball Sensation
- Amateur Athlete: Mountain Biking League Coming to Southern Oregon