GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- Ronette Gideon was sentenced to 8 years and 4 months in prison after admitting to shooting Michael Hockersmith on September 8, 2016.
According to the affidavit, Hockersmith showed up to a home where Gideon was living in the early morning. Gideon was holding a shotgun and there was an argument. Gideon fired one round and hit Hockersmith in the stomach. Hockermith was taken to the hospital and underwent surgery. Hockersmith died later.
Gideon agreed to a plea deal today at a very emotional sentencing.
A friend of Hockermith's mothrer, Heidi Olympius, said that this case involved many layers, saying, "Kathy (Michael Hockersmith's mother) and Ronette lived together and Kathy and Richard and all the kids lived together at one point," she continued to explain the complexity of the situation, "Kathy and Ronette were best friends."
Olympius told NewsWatch 12 that the plea deal was the best possible outcome for the situation, stating that, "I just don't think going to trial would have turned into a good situation. I think it would've been very difficult for everybody."
During the sentencing Gideon gave an emotional apology, saying, "I'm so sorry, if I could change it I would. I accept the punishment and I know it's not enough. I understand that it doesn't bring him back."
- Woman Sentenced For Shooting, Killing Son-In-Law
- PD: Woman shoots, kills 12-year-old son and herself
- Father reads poem of son killed in Florida school shooting
- Man sentenced for 2013 shooting that killed innocent bystander
- Father, son sentenced to 142 years combined for murder
- Father-son feud ends in highway shooting
- Mother prays for change after son is killed in drive-by shooting on Christmas Eve
- Josh Gad makes emotional promise after friend's son killed in Florida school shooting
- Woman dead, pregnant woman injured in shooting
- Murder Charges Dismissed Against Man Accused of Killing Son